Tuesday, May 27, 2014

America's 23 Best?

Memorial Day.....Patriotism?..Landon Donovan, hmmmmmm.

Well, this is a tough one, so I purposely extended my traditional 24-hour rule to allow my emotional side to relax before commenting because I gotta say, when I first heard the news of Donovan's absence from the final roster of 23,  and then saw some of the inclusions, I was calling for Mr. Klinnsman's head.

Let me be straight here: I never believed Donovan to be the superstar soccer player that some folks think he is and I still don't.  When he decided to take a mental sabbatical from the team during qualifiers last year, from my coaching chair I was calling for Donovan's head.  "Give the slot to someone else," I said.

However, once Klinnsman allowed him back into the squad and said he would base his world cup selections on current form and the final training camp for Donovan as well as all 30 training camp invitees, I was very surprised by his exclusion.

Current form has seen Altidore play an entire season in the EPL and score 1 goal!  The so-called  dedication and commitment that Coach Klinnsman is calling for has seen Tim Chandler waiver back and forth as to his desire to play for the US or Germany, and after Germany didn't show interest, he accepted Klinnsman's offer to join the US Team.

Julien Green is a whole other story.  I have nothing against this young talent, but it almost wreaks of some back-room deal made that if he chose to wear the US jersey he would be rewarded with a World Cup ticket.  Too bad for some of these American raised boys who have gone through all the supposedly correct steps to put themselves in position to get a real shot at playing for their country, only to be transplanted by the dual citizenship players who Klinnsman seems to favor.

Unfortunately, it seems to me that Klinnsman really never got over the snub by Donovan when the player decided that he needed time off to re-energize.  We all know that Donovan has started to move towards the end of his soccer career and at times has hinted as much.  But I'm sorry guys, international World Cup experience has to count for something. I certainly think that even coming off the bench he can provide 25-30 minutes of spark that could save a point in a critical match. 

Where is Mr. Klinnsman's respect for the American player of the last decade?  Why did he choose to add very young, inexperienced foreign players with "potential" who have dual citizenship, rather than choosing a player who has proven himself for the US National team for over a decade and who recently broke the MLS all time scoring record?

I think Bruce Arena, former US National Team coach and current coach of LA Galaxy put it best with his comment, "...if there are 23 players on the current US roster better than Landon Donovan, then the U.S. should win the World Cup this year."

It makes one wonder,  if Coach Klinnsman had not received a contract extension good for the 2018 World Cup, would he have chosen to experiment with these young players in Brazil next month? Has he decided to give these young players with potential the opportunity to get experience this time around, conceding any favorable result this year, and making a true push for it in 2018?  

The World Cup is hardly the arena for giving young players experience.  I would be surprised to see many of these young players get off the bench this time around, unless the team is completely out of it by the second game and he just throws them in "to bloody them," as they say.

Well, I guess time will tell and I hope the US team does well despite this bump in the road.

Let's go USA Soccer!

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment